Thales is a global organisation operating in 56 countries with 61,000 employees.. In the markets that it serves – Defence, Security, Space, Aerospace and Ground Transportation, decisions are often of critical importance. Thales is a key player in keeping the public safe and secure, guarding vital infrastructure and protecting the national security interests of countries around the globe. Benefiting from advanced technology expertise within the field of optronics, image processing and complex systems, Thales is a vital player in the optronics’ market. European leader in airborne optronics, Thales is also the international reference in hand-held and in-vehicle thermal imagery and provides optronics solutions dedicated to the marine environment. Thales has made innovation a strategic priority and the driving force behind the long-term development of the Group. Its dynamic approach relies on the central research facilities of Thales Research & Technology (TRT) with a model of open innovation designed to maximise interaction with the academic research community and other technology providers.
For more informations: www.thalesgroup.com
Sagem is a high-tech company in the SAFRAN Group. It is a World or European leader in solutions and services in optronics, avionics, electronics and critical software for the civilian and military markets. Sagem is the European No. 1 and worldwide No.3 in INSs for aeronautic, naval and land applications. It is also the worldwide No.1 in helicopter flight controls and the European No.1 in optronic and tactical UAV systems. Present across the globe via the SAFRAN Group’s international network, Sagem and its subsidiaries employ 6000 people in Europe and the US.
Optronics and Defense division
The Optronics and Defense division has the best technologies in the world in terms of optronics systems and equipment for armed and security forces. These are used in airborne, naval and land applications: imagers and infrared and light-intensifying cameras, sights, periscopes, gyrostabilized pods, etc. It also offers militaries advanced solutions in air-land battle space digitization: soldier modernization, vehicle digitization (vetronics), cryptology, UAV systems, etc.
Onera, First Aerospace Research Player in France.
Onera (Office National d’Etudes et Recherches Aérospatiales) is the French Aerospace Research Center. It is a public research establishment, with both industrial and commercial responsibilities, reporting to the French Ministry of Defense and enjoying financial independence. With 2,000 employees, including 1,500 scientists, engineers and technicians, the expertise of ONERA covers all the scientific disciplines involved in aircraft, spacecraft, turbomachinery and missile design. It makes ONERA an essential partner in the French and European aeronautics and space community.
Its main missions are:
• to assist government agencies in charge of coordinating civil and military aerospace Policy,
• to direct and carry out aerospace research,
• to design, produce and operate the resources needed to perform research and testing for manufacturers,
• to make available and commercialize the results of its research and facilitate application of this research by industry, including non-aerospace sectors,
• to support the French training policy for scientists and engineers. Since its creation in 1946, Onera has worked on all the major French and European aeronautical and space programs, including Mirage, Concorde, Airbus, Ariane, Rafale, etc… It’s continuously upgrading its research and test facilities, some of them exhibiting unique capabilities. ONERA is one of the key figures in optronics research in Europe and is a major player in all areas of the optronics sector from individual components to the architecture of complex optronic systems. The Theoretical and Applied Optics Department (DOTA) carries out research in all areas of optics that have potential applications to aeronautics, space and military systems.
For more informations: www.onera.fr/en
The Société Française d’Optique is the French branch of the European Optical Society (EO ). The mission of the SFO is to bring together and encourage in France the cooperation of all those with an interest in optics and photonics. The SFO maintains relations with other societies and organizations, national or international, having similar interest.
For more informations: www.sfoptique.org